Diaper pong is the newest baby shower game to start trending with mama-to-be’s and their guests. It’s a fun, active game that is a little outside the box for those who want something a little less traditional to entertain guests.
This guide breaks down everything you need to know about diaper pong, including the game rules and how to make a diaper pong board.
There are affiliate links in this post.
What is Diaper Pong?
Diaper Pong is a fun twist on the traditional college game for a baby shower. Each player throws a ping pong ball with the goal of making it into a diaper. Each diaper is worth a certain amount of points. The person or team with the highest points wins.
How to Play: Game Rules
- Label Each Diaper. Each diaper should be worth a certain amount of points. Be sure to label each diaper before the baby shower.
- Divide Players Into Teams. There are six balls per team, so divide players into teams of 2, 3, or 6. You can also have people play individually with six balls.
- Take Turns Throwing Ping Pong Balls. Each team or individual gets one shot before the next team goes. Alternate taking turns until every player or team has thrown a total of 6 ping pong balls.
- Keep Track of Points. When a ball lands in a diaper, keep track of how many points each player or team has made.
- Winner. The person or team with the highest score wins!
How to Make a DIY Diaper Pong Board
You can easily make your own game board because it’s very easy to DIY. For a classic diaper pong board, you will need the following:
- Trifold board for the backdrop
- Size 2 or larger diapers
- Hot glue gun and glue
- Decorative items for the board
Step One: The Trifold Background
The best type of board for this game is a trifold poster board.
Once you have it, create a base color or decor theme for the trifold board. You can also leave it alone for a bright, white background.
Here are a few things you can do with the background:
- Spray paint the trifold board
- Attach the fabric to the board
- Use contact paper or wrapping paper
- Adhere scrapbook paper to the board
Step Two: Attach Diapers
Using hot glue, attach 7- 10 diapers to the board and label them with how many points it is worth. Use size two or larger, so they’re big enough for ping pong balls to land inside of them when thrown.
Step Three: Add the Game Title on Board
You can draw the title on the board or stick letters onto the board. Go to the craft store, and you’ll find many creative options for letters. My favorite option, and what I believe is the easiest, is using letter stickers.
Step Four: Add Decorative Touches
There are so many ways to add a decorative flair to your poster board. Think about the baby shower theme and how you can add those elements onto the board. Here are a few things you can do:
- Hot glue decorative elements around the board (butterflies, bunting flags, flowers, etc.)
- Create a border using washi tape, rhinestone ribbon, fabric, etc.
- Use contact paper in the middle section to give it a pop of color
Diaper Pong Sign
Consider adding a framed sign of the game rules by your game board! This will allow each guest to understand the rules before playing the game. You can find signs that you can print out and frame.
Diaper Pong Board Ideas
This is a very simple game board to recreate! They went with a white trifold board and didn’t add anything to the background. Instead, they added pops of color in the blue bunting garland. This is such a great way to decorate a game board.
This game board is adorable! It’s perfect for an elephant-themed baby shower. It looks as though the fabric has been attached to the trifold board for the background.
I absolutely love this idea. If you’re going for a statement for the entrance, attach a balloon garland to a large pong board.
You’d have to get a large cardboard or foam sheet to make this happen, or you could easily decorate a nice table with a trifold board on top of it. Then you would attach the balloon garland to a wall or something nearby.
This board looks great with the scrapbook paper attached as a quilt-like pattern on each side. The center has pink construction paper for a background. You can find decorative cutouts to attach to your game board at any craft store.
You can also purchase a diaper game board customized to your baby shower theme.
Diaper Pong Prizes
What should you give out as prizes for winning? If a team is playing, you’ll more than likely give out smaller gifts. You could opt for a slightly larger gift if people are playing individually and there is one winner. However, your biggest prize should be saved for a diaper raffle winner if you are hosting one at the shower.
Here are a few ideas for prizes:
- Starbucks or Dunkin’ Gift Cards
- Bottle of wine
- Box of chocolate
- Coffee mug with gourmet coffee sample
Diaper Pong is a fun baby shower game, especially if you have an active group of guests who would like to play a hands-on game. It’s not a traditional baby shower game, so if you’re looking for something a little out of the ordinary, try it out.